You Love it, We Insure It……Motorcycles, ATV’s, Campers and Trailers, Boats and More

From Eriesense, by Alex Buczynski on May 9, 2017

Maybe it’s the motorcycle that’s been sitting silent all winter. Or the RV in storage, or a shiny new boat. Whatever it is, now is the time to take out your favorite “toy.”

When you do, it pays to think about how to protect it from accidents, bad weather and more.

Most of these toys can be added to your auto policy, says Dave Freeman, vice president in Personal Lines at Erie Insurance. “This means you’ve only got one policy to keep track of and one bill to pay.”

Read on to learn more about how ERIE covers each one.


If you like to explore the great outdoors on an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), it’s a good idea to add yours to your existing auto policy. The good news is that ERIE has a 12-month policy but factors in seasonal usage. This means you get year-round coverage at a better rate since it’s likely that you typically only use an ATV for a portion of the year. To qualify for this coverage, anyone who drives your ATV must have a valid driver’s license.

Campers and trailers 

A nonmotorized camper that you tow behind your car or utility trailer has some physical damage coverage under your homeowners policy since it is considered personal property.

That said, it’s recommended to protect your wheels by adding a camper or trailer to an existing auto policy. It gives your camper or trailer liability coverage when you’re towing it, and optional coverage is also available to protect it from accidents, hail damage, vandalism and more.


Ready to ride? If you have a motorcycle, you’ll want an endorsement for your bike. ERIE’s new motorcycle coverage not only covers your bike but also comes with $3,000 in built-in coverage for damage to custom equipment and accessories, gear and safety riding apparel. Plus, you have the option to add medical payment coverage and roadside assistance.

Have a custom bike? If so, you can add up to $50,000 in custom equipment/accessory coverage to protect your one-of-kind creation. ERIE’s motorcycle rates were recently revamped, so it’s definitely worth getting a quote.

Golf carts

From avid putters to people looking for a way to get around, golf carts can come in handy. If you have one, you have liability coverage for it wherever it goes through your ERIE homeowners policy. However, physical damage is covered only when you use it to service your property.* If you plan to drive it off your property, consider getting extra physical damage coverage.


An ERIE homeowners policy only provides limited coverage for watercraft, so it’s worth looking into a standalone boat insurance policy. A boat insurance policy can cover inboards, outboards,
sailboats, houseboats and personal watercraft like jet skis. This policy provides liability coverage that kicks in if you were to injure someone or their property while using watercraft covered by the policy. Depending on the type of boat you have and the risks you face, you may wish to add extra protection (like physical damage) as well.

Protect your toys by contacting your Erie Insurance agent before the season gets in full swing. He or she will help you get the right coverage so you can enjoy your toys without worry.

Request Your Proposal Here

Are you ready to save time, aggravation, and money? The team at McCollum Insurance is here and ready to make the process as painless as possible. We look forward to meeting you!

Call Email Claims Payments